As winter is returning with a vengeance, we thought we would review some winter driving safety tips that could help save your life and avoid an accident. We always love to hear from our clients but would prefer that it wasn’t due to misfortune. Here are some tips for you to consider when driving this winter.
- In a skid, look where you want to go and STEER in that direction.
- In fog, snow or any other reduced visibility use low beam headlights. If seriously limited visibility look for the white line on the right of the lane.
- Keep 3 seconds between you and the car ahead, double when wet, double again in snow.
- Snow and Ice must be COMPLETELY cleared from ALL windows prior to driving. You could be ticketed if you don’t and it is certainly unsafe.
- Cornering tip: smooth slowdown, smooth turn in, smooth straighten, smooth acceleration.
In Winter, Add These Items to Your Car …
- Hat and Gloves
- Folding Shovel
- Jumper Cables
- Tire chains
- First-aid kit
- Strike anywhere matches in a waterproof container
- Flashlight with extra batteries
- Small tool kit or an all-purpose tool
- Non-Perishable snacks, like granola bars or crackers
- Candles and an empty coffee can to melt snow