The holiday season is a time for family, fun, and food. It is also a time for robberies, theft, and brake-ins. We want to help protect you and your family with a few safety tips to keep in mind for the next few weeks.
- When shopping, keep your bags in the trunk to avoid a break-in.
- While you are in the store, be aware of your purse and belongings at all times.
- When walking to your car in the parking lot, have your keys out and cell phone away to remain alert of your surroundings.
- During the holidays, many home robberies take place during the day. Try to make your home look occupied.
- Leave some lights on
- Make sure the newspaper and mail are brought in
- If you are going out of town, hire a friend to watch the house for you.
- Consider installing a home security system to protect you and your belongings.
- Keep your garage door closed even when you are home.
We always encourage our clients to keep an up-to-date log of valuables in your home. We recommend taking pictures and maintaining a home inventory. As a courtesy to all of our clients, Mark is happy to come to your home to help document your possessions.
Mark suggests to go room to room and record valuables with:
- Description of the item
- Serial number
- Purchase date
- Estimated value
Helpful Tip: Jewelry, guns, and collections are not automatically covered with a Homeowners Insurance policy need to be properly insured with an additional Floater policy.
Once you have completed your home inventory, make sure you have a digital file and consider keeping a hard copy in a safety deposit box. We would be happy to keep one for you at the office as well. Then schedule a meeting to meet with Mark to make sure your existing coverage is up to date! Call our office at (719) 593-9916 to schedule an appointment.