This is one of the most common questions I get as an insurance agent. It can be confusing when traveling and a hassle to figure out in the moment.
- We can go over your current Auto policy and adjust it to your liking. In many cases, your current deductibles and coverages apply for the duration of your rental agreement.
- Many rental car companies have a $0 deductible, so that might be a reason to choose their additional coverage. However, if you are at fault in an accident while using the rental car, your own liability coverage can help pay for damages.
- Do I currently have collision coverage?
- Does my policy extend to rental cars?
- How much liability coverage do I have?
- Am I covered outside of the United States?
- Does my current policy cover fees charged by the rental car company or loss-of-use?
- Some travel friendly credit cards offer some sort of coverage when you use their card to book the rental car. This can help you decide which credit card to use in favor of others.
- Do I have primary or secondary rental car coverage?
- Does it cover collisions and theft?
- What is the maximum reimbursement?
- Am I covered for out of country rentals?
Farmers Insurance, “Do I Need Rental Car Insurance?”, 2021. https://www.farmers.com/learn/